Welsh Rarebit with Bacon and LaverbreadRecipes
Welsh Rarebit with Bacon and Laverbread
A delicious variation on the classic Welsh Rarebit
Write a review
- 50g/2oz flour
- 50g/2oz butter
- 2 slices of back bacon
- 2 tbsp of laverbread
- 250ml/9oz Tomos Watkin Cwrw Gaeaf beer, warmed
- 250g/9oz Collier's Powerful Welsh Cheddar, grated
- 2 tsp Double Dragon Welsh mustard
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- black pepper, freshly ground
- 4 large slices granary bread
- Grill or fry the bacon. In a small saucepan melt the butter and add the flour to make a roux. Cook for a couple of minutes, stirring to prevent the roux from burning. Stir in the warm beer by degrees, until you have a thick but smooth sauce. Add the grated cheese and stir until melted. You should now have a thick paste. Mix in the laverbread, mustard and Worcestershire sauce and season well with black pepper.
- Lightly toast and butter the bread. Layer on the cheesy mixture. Cook under a hot grill for a few minutes, until browned and bubbling, then top with bacon.
- A slightly different method, making a roux instead of the egg yolks. See which you prefer.
Collier's Powerful Welsh Cheddar http://www.collierscheese.com/wp/